Archive for March, 2011

Guthrie-Bianchini House

Saturday, March 19th, 2011

As soon as he acquired the Rancho Santa Rosa from Don Julian Estrada, Domingo Pujol divided the rancho into smaller parcels and he sold them to many of the first settlers in the Cambria area. One of Pujol’s first customers was George E. Long who purchased three parcels from Pujol totaling 2094.6 acres on October 12, 1866. One of these parcels was 1010 acres and included virtually all of what would become Cambria. About three months later, on January 14, 1867, Long sold two of the three parcels, including the 1010 acre plot, to Samuel Pollard for $1250. (more…)

Coast Highway in the Cambria Area

Sunday, March 6th, 2011

The distribution of the Mexican Land Grants in the early 1840s gave rise to the coast road from San Luis Obispo north, more or less along its current path, to San Carpoforo Creek. It went wherever necessary to connect the residences of the rancho owners. To call it a road is a bit of an exaggeration. In actual fact, it was more of a trail suitable for people on horseback, pack animals and cattle. Carretas (two-wheeled carts drawn by oxen) were mainly used on the rancho where they were first made but could be taken along the road. The continuous passage, especially of cattle, eventually widened the trail until it was passable by wagons. (more…)