The Bluebird Inn, located on Main Street in Cambria’s East Village, was built by George W. Lull in 1880 for his second wife, Mary Inman Lull.
Lull was a partner in the San Francisco firm of Grant and Lull. While George Grant remained in San Francisco, Lull first came to the Cambria area in 1858 at the age of 27. He built a small store near the mouth of San Simeon Creek. In 1865 he leased a small plot of land from Philip Kaitzel and erected a two-story building which later became the Music House and today is part of Fog’s End Bed and Breakfast. In the lower floor of this building Lull established the first store in the Cambria area called the Grant and Lull Store. By 1867 the store had been moved to the southeast corner of Bridge and Main Street and the first Cambria Post Office was established within it. Winfield S. Whitaker was the first postmaster but Lull was postmaster from 1872 to 1881. (more…)