As soon as he acquired the Rancho Santa Rosa from Don Julian Estrada, Domingo Pujol immediately hired a Mr. Ward to divide the rancho into smaller parcels and he sold them to many of the first settlers in the Cambria area. One of Pujol’s first customers was George E. Long, a farmer who was born in Georgia around 1829. In a single deal for $4348, Long purchased three parcels from Pujol totaling 2094.6 acres on October 12, 1866. One of these parcels was a triangular property at the mouth of Leffingwell Creek at the north end of Moonstone Beach amounting to 18.5 acres. The second parcel consisted of 1066.1 acres which ran along the south side of Santa Rosa Creek for about two miles beginning at a point in today’s East Village behind Cambria Tax and Financial Services. The third parcel, 1010 acres, included virtually all of what would become East Village, West Village, West Lodge Hill, Happy Hill and Liemert Estates.
About three months later, on January 14, 1867, Long sold two of the three parcels, the 18.5 acre plot and the 1010 acre plot, to Samuel Adams Pollard for $1250. Pollard was born in Virginia in 1828 or 1829. His wife, Maria Josefa, was one of twenty one children born to Captain Dana and Doña Maria Josefa Carrillo. She had previously been married to Henry Amos Teftt who died in 1852. Samuel and Maria Josefa were married on December 20, 1854 and they had five children: Josephine, Ellen Adeline, Samuel, Virginia and George. Doña Maria Josefa died on July 23, 1878.
From 1851 to 1853 Samuel Pollard was postmaster at the only post office in the county, a small adobe building on the northwest corner of Chorro and Monterey Streets in San Luis Obispo. In the late 1860s, Pollard and Long built the first store in Cambria, a fifty by forty foot building on the northeast corner of Bridge and Main Streets where the Wildwood shop stands today (2010). In 1869 they sold the store to Chamblin & Co. and it later became Rammidge and Conway. Pollard, in partnership with John Childs, also owned a flour mill in San Luis Obispo for many years.
Samuel Pollard was quite active in county politics. On April 14, 1850, the county’s first election was held and Joaquin Estrada (first cousin of Julian Estrada) was elected County Recorder. However, he soon resigned and Stephen Purdie was appointed as his successor. In August of that same year, Purdie also resigned and Pollard was appointed to the job. In October, Joseph Warren, Justice of the Peace, was allowed to leave on a visit, and Pollard was appointed Justice of the Peace, pro tem, but, in November, Warren resigned, and Louis Raggio was appointed in his place. On February 18, 1851, Pollard was appointed County Clerk filling a vacancy created by the resignation of Charles J. Freeman. On May 3, 1852, the State Legislature of the new state of California enacted a law providing for Boards of Supervisors in several counties including San Luis Obispo and Pollard was elected to the board. At its first meeting, on December 13 of that year, Pollard was elected first Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors. However, his political career soon ended when he twice ran for County Treasurer and was defeated in September, 1863 and September, 1867.
Samuel Pollard died in San Francisco in 1904.