The historic building located on the northwest corner of Bridge Street and Burton Drive is today known as Hearts Ease, purveyor of herbs, plants and gardening supplies and owner of one of the most beautiful gardens in Cambria. But, since the house was built in the early 1870s, there have been around twenty different owners.
One of the early owners was George Proctor who moved to Cambria with his second wife, Lucinda Morris in 1861. It was Proctor who built the three-story Proctor Hotel on the southwest corner of Bridge and Main Streets where Bob and Jan’s Bottle Shop currently stands. He was also part owner of the Souza house across the street which is presently Robin’s Restaurant.
In 1880, the house was purchased by the Taylor brothers, John and James, who were born in Scotland, emigrated to New York state and then came to California via the Isthmus of Panama. By the time they purchased this property, they owned land in various parts of the county and John owned all of what is now called Happy Hill, Park Hill and Lodge Hill. John cut down many of the pines on his property and sold the timber. He replaced these trees with the pines for which Cambria is now famous and, after he died, it was his descendants who sold all of this property to The Cambria Development Company in 1928. They subdivided the property into the now famous twenty-five foot lots and built the Cambria Pines Lodge to house prospective land buyers during their visits to Cambria.
In 1925, John Taylor’s heirs sold the house to Jeanette and Alexander Campbell who rented the house and adjacent Mr. Carroll’s Blacksmith Shop building to a variety of tenants until they died in the mid 1940s. The Campbells lived in a two-story home located where the Redwood Center is today.
After that, there was a string of owners who bought the property, rented out the buildings and soon sold to the next owner. Among the many owners during this period was actress Angela Lansbury in the 1970s, whose relatives, Pat and Caroline Pullen, had an antique shop there.
Lansbury sold to Sharon Lovejoy and Jeff Prostovich in 1986 and they moved their Heart’s Ease business into the building from what is now The Old Stone Station in west village. Sharon is currently a recognized garden expert and a nationally famous garden and nature writer and she and Jeff led the effort to save the Guthrie-Bianchini House from being torn down in 1987 and 1988. Sharon Lovejoy sold the business to Susan Pendergast, former shop manager, in 1994 but retained ownership of the building itself. In 2005, Kathryn Clayton, who is the current owner, bought the business from Susan and she bought the building from Sharon and Jeff.